Saturday 14 September 2013

What are we arguing about?

Up to this point, I haven't used this blog for short, sweet pieces that simply point people to other articles, but there's always a first time.

This article in The Guardian outlines how we can end up talking at cross purposes when we haven't actually agreed the terms of the debate - or what we're arguing about.  (Reminding me of the social science injunction to 'define your terms'.)

In policy discussions this happens all the time, and is exactly what I try to use this blog to address - most recently in my exchange with Chris Snowdon about the utility of the total consumption model of alcohol-related or harm.  (Or were we talking about population level policy interventions?)

I can't think of a better short, sweet link to leave on a blog called 'Thinking to Some Purpose'.

No comments:

Post a Comment